B. J. Waterhouse

B.J. (Bertrand James) Waterhouse (1877-1965): The Architect of Nutcote

 

Born in Yorkshire, Waterhouse came to Australia and joined the Government Architects, leaving in 1907 to begin private practice. His fashionable and well constructed designs generally featured steep pitched roofs, bay windows, inglenooks and arched entrances, with stucco, stone and shingles in the English Arts and Crafts Style. A Neutral Bay resident, himself, he was President of the Art Gallery 1939-58, President of Board of Architects of NSW 1928-49, and Chairman of Canberra’s National Capital Planning and Development Committee.

FacebookTwitterBookmark/FavoritesEmailShare